Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Review - Thicker Than Water

Thicker Than Water by Brigid Kemmerer

* Received from NetGalley for review.

4 gnomes out of 5 gnomes

If I had to describe this book with one word it would be INTENSE. It starts out fast and kind of throws you right in the middle of everything. I could not stop reading this book I just had to know what the heck was going on. This book will keep you up late reading, I was up til 2 A.M.

There is a giant WTF moment that will make you question what the heck just happened. You’ll be wondering if you’re rooting for the wrong person. Let’s just say I had no idea what was truly going on but I knew I had to find out.

It bothered me a bit that the description of the book was wrong it says:

“Not that there’s any evidence. But before Thomas got to Garretts Mill there had just been one other murder in twenty years.  

The only person who believes him is Charlotte Rooker, little sister to three cops and, with her soft hands and sweet curves, straight-up dangerous to Thomas. Her best friend was the other murder vic. And she’d like a couple answers.”

First of all she’s not the only one that believes him or at least doesn’t suspect him all the way. The last murder was not twenty years ago. Plus her best friend is very much alive and the other murdered person was an acquaintance at best….

Thomas is one complicated dude. It’s understandable why he’s angry seeing as his mother was murdered and he’s been blamed for it. Him and Charlotte though tend to have bad things happen when they get together.

Charlotte is an interesting character, who loves but also feels pretty smothered by her family. All her brothers are cops and she’s their only sister so they’re shall we say a bit overprotective. Between her and Thomas thought I think she has the better detective skills.

The background characters are pretty great too. Her friend Nicole is awesome and I liked that she really kept her promises. Her brothers aren’t too fleshed out but what you do find out is telling.

I would have really liked to know a lot more behind the backstory/mythos of why he can do what he does. The paranormal part of it all happened a tad bit out of nowhere but it was really interesting once you found out the why of everything.

Check out this book if you’re looking for a mystery with a very surprising twist and a book with atmosphere to spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)