Monday, January 25, 2016

Sentence Sneak Peek - Underwater

Underwater by Marisa Reichardt

The first sentence from each chapter of Underwater, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Received from NetGalley for review.
* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)

“I just moved.”

“My emergency pills are in an amber prescription bottle on the second shelf of the medicine cabinet.”

“Ben loves pancakes.”

“Nighttime makes the darkness last forever.”

“My mom and Ben are still at the birthday party when there’s a knock on my door.”

“The weekend passes, and when Brenda comes on Tuesday, she says we need a plan for how I can help myself when something triggers a panic attack.”

“Two weekends have passed since Evan and I watched his surf video.

“I sit at the computer in my too-tight jeans.”

“Brenda comes at one p.m.”

“Brenda was right.”

“I decide to deliver my letter to Evan as soon as I’m done writing it.”

“The sound of Evan thumping down the stairs early the next morning wakes me up.”

“Do you want to come in?”

“When I walk Evan to the door, he asks me for my phone.”

“I’m a little groggy today because I stayed up way too late texting Evan last night.”

“My mom’s cell phone rings after dinner, and she excuses herself to go outside and sit on the stairs to talk.”

“I run to my room.”

“A week passes, and on the last Thursday of April, after my mom and Ben leave for the day, the rain comes down like a last hurrah to April Showers.”

“After I say good-bye to Brenda, I sit down at the computer to work.”

“Evan knocks at the door every fifteen minutes.

“All weekend, my mom fields phone calls from my grandma about my dad.”

“Monday morning comes and my grandma calls.”

“I’m glad today is Tuesday.”

“I decide to wait for Evan at the bottom of the stairs after Brenda leaves.”

“Hop on my back and I’ll take you to the river,” Ben says.”

“A week passes and Evan doesn’t stop by.

“My grandpa Ben took care of his car.”

“After I finish my homework, watch two videotaped lectures for school, and mop and vacuum the floors, I sprawl out like a starfish on top of my bed to think.”

“Ben comes busting through the door at six p.m.”

“Today, May twenty-third, is Ben’s birthday, so when Brenda arrives, I suggest we walk to the corner market to buy a cake mix and a tub of frosting with the money I still have saved up from teaching swim lessons.”

“My mom is relieved I baked a cake, because we’d be up hours past Ben’s bedtime if she had to bake one herself.”

“I see Aaron Tiratore in my dreams.”

“Summer is almost here.”

“By the time my mom gets home, Taylor is long gone, off to some class at the gym to build muscles even bigger than the ones she already has.”

“So I have a boyfriend,” I tell Brenda as we stroll around the block, past dilapidated doorways and beaten-up bus stops two days later.”

“There’s no texting about whether Evan and I should hang out after school the next day; we just do.”

“After breakfast on Monday morning, I do aerobics in front of the TV with the windows open wide so the day can come in.”

“My mom calls into work to say she has a family emergency and can’t return.”

“Evan insists that going to Ben’s play is our first date.”

“I freaked out at Ben’s play,” I tell Brenda the next Tuesday as I sip a Slurpee on the hood of my car in a 7-Eleven parking lot a few blocks from my house.

“That afternoon, after Brenda and I have finished my driving lesson and I’ve made a nausea-inducing phone call to my testing proctor to confirm that I’ll be at my final exams at the Ocean High library tomorrow, Evan shows up at my door.”

“The next day, Evan’s finals are on a block schedule, so he’s done at noon.”

“When we get home, Evan only has a little bit of time to get ready for a celebratory last day of school dinner he’s going to with his mom, aunt, and uncle.”

“The first day of summer vacation roars to a start.”

“Brenda and I decided to make our once-a-week meetings on Tuesdays, so almost a whole week of summer passes before our first session.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)