Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Review: Dreadnought

Dreadnought (Nemesis #1) by April Daniels

* Read via NetGalley for review

* Will be published on January 24, 2017


My Favorite Quotes/Lines:

“So all those great responsibilities that come with great power, those are really only yours if you want them to be.”

“Your trusting nature in these cynical times is a balm to my wounded soul.”

“I turn over on to my back and give them the finger as I pull for altitude.”

“Who cares if I stop looking like a supermodel? I just saved the whole goddamn world.

5 out of 5 gnomes

So so good. I absolutely adore reading great books about superheroes and this is one hundred percent a great new take on superheroes. This sounds spoilery but it’s in the description of the book: Danny, a transgender girl takes on the mantle of a traditionally male superhero. When she acquires her powers her whole body changes to the one she’s always dreamed of.

A transgender point of view plus superpowers equals a rather epic origin story for this new superhero. The whole world is set up well and feels lived in. There’s the whitecapes, graycapes, blackcapes, some mad science type goodness and a whole lot of in between. You know who the good capes should be but there’s a lot of questions too.

There are a lot of issues for Danny to overcome because of her to put it nicely, not so understanding parents and other people. That plus suddenly having a new body and superpowers equals lots of understandable problems.

My favorite character besides Danny is Calamity. She is an intriguing character. How she got her powers is pretty darn crazy/sad. Her character/personality makes you want to know more about her ASAP. I love her understanding/friendship with Danny oh and the old timey way she talks when in character. I also kind of ship her and Danny too, there’s definitely some chemistry there.

There are plenty of surprises in this story. That plus the really great ending make for a superhero read that you should check out ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)