Monday, March 13, 2017

Sentence Sneak Peek - The Hate U Give

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

The first sentence from each chapter of The Hate U Give, it's a mini summary of what you can expect to read.

* Spoilers are highlighted like so :)


“I shouldn’t have come to this party.”

“When I was twelve, my parents had two talks with me.”

“They leave Khalil’s body in the street like it’s an exhibit.”

“That night, Natasha tries to convince me to follow her to the fire hydrant, and Khalil begs me to go for a ride with him.

“On Monday, the day I’m supposed to talk to the detectives, I’m crying out of nowhere, hunched over my bed as the iron in my hand spits out steam.”

“My mom and I arrive at the police station at four thirty on the dot.”

Khalil’s funeral is Friday.”

“Funerals aren’t for dead people.”

“My brothers come home with a message— Daddy’s spending the night at the store.

“We spend the night at Uncle Carlos’s house because the riots started again as soon as the sun went down.”

“Monday morning, I know something is up when I first step into Williamson.”

“I’m luring Brickz inside when it passes out front.”

“Mr. Lewis’s left eye is swollen shut and blood drips onto his shirt from a slash on his cheek, but he refuses to go to the hospital.”

“I end up at Maya’s house.”

“It takes an untouched stack of pancakes for Momma to say, “All right, Munch.”

“Ms. Ofrah arranged for me to do an interview with one of the national news programs today— exactly a week before I testify before the grand jury next Monday.”

“My interview aired yesterday on Diane Carey’s Friday Night News Special.”

“On Sunday, my parents take me and my brothers on a trip.”

“The smell of hickory bacon and the sound of way too many voices wake me up.”

“Three hours.”

“Still no decision from the grand jury, so we’re still living.”

“In our new neighborhood I can simply tell my parents “I’m going for a walk” and leave.”

“It’s a quiet ride to Seven’s grandma’s house.”

“Because Seven said we’d be all right, everything goes wrong.

“An entire aisle is already engulfed.”

“It’s around eleven the next morning, and I’m still in bed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)