Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Review - The Upside of Unrequited

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

5 out of 5 gnomes

I zipped right through this book in just a day. It caught me hook, line and sinker, Molly’s character was just so relatable. There were plenty of quirky situations, yes but they felt charming and not forced or cliche like some contemporary books do.

Molly’s inner monologue and feelings will hit you right in the heart and might remind you a lot of your teenage self. I mean this first line really shows a lot of what to expect humor wise: “I’M ON THE TOILET AT the 9: 30 Club, and I’m wondering how mermaids pee.” Then this quote really got to me too, “I wish I were the kind of person who knows how to fill a silence.”

I love how close Molly and her family are. The dynamic between her and her twin sister, moms, and little brother are really well done.

Then there’s Molly’s love life. It gets interesting really fast. There’s a bit of a love triangle but it’s much more tolerable than they usually are. It’s not a surprise who she chooses really but oh is it a fun ride getting there.

Overall, well worth reading for the characters and really quotable quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)