Thursday, June 1, 2017

Review - The Dark Prophecy

The Dark Prophecy (The Trials of Apollo #2) by Rick Riordan


My Favorite Quotes/Lines:

"Vaya con queso.”

"I often speak without the benefit of forethought. Usually it works out. Sometimes it leads to improvisational masterpieces, like the Renaissance or the Beat movement. I had to hope this would be one of those times."

"Too many questions crowded in my head. I wanted to divide myself into a dozen different manifestations so I could pursue every answer at once, but alas, mortals don’t split easily."

"I chopped those onions
With my own ex-godly hands
You’d better eat them"

"HITTEST ME WITH THY BEST SHOT."

"How did I know the basics of a fast-food kitchen, you ask? I had discovered the singer Pink while she was working at McDonalds. I found Queen Latifah at Burger King. I’ve spent a fair amount of time in such places. You can’t discount any site where you might find talent."

"He put those words in air circles (since air quotes had not yet been invented)."

"It’s not how long you live that matters. It’s what you live for.”

"On the list of things that freaked me out, seven-year-old girls who giggled about death were right at the top, along with reptiles and talking weapons."

"As any Mount Olympian custodian can tell you, ammonia is an excellent cleaning agent for monsters and other blemishes."

5 out of 5 gnomes

I adore this series, Seeing all things from the ex-godly point of view is entertaining as always. Apollo trying to be human and get along with demigods is entertaining, especially those he should remember more about but can’t.

Seeing Leo, Calypso, and other characters from past series continue to change and grow makes for a great read too.

Finding all these prophets/oracles and escaping the big bads continues to have a lot of obstacles. Lester/Apollo has plenty of issues and trauma from the past/being immortal so long.

His interactions with Meg are always something because even though he has to listen to her there’s still something there. You can tell that they both really care about each other too.

The humor and heart of it all really make this series special. You’ll go from hearing about battle ostriches to heartbreaking stories about Apollo’s past and possibly scary future.

I love the history of these characters and the continuing to evolve mythology. It should be very interesting to see what happens next. I just don’t know how happily this series can end or what exactly that might look like. I look forward to finding out though because each new quest is leading in some pretty dark directions/intriguing places.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good series which I enjoy a lot. Its characterisation is really amazing and story keeps you engaged throughout. Thanks for the nice review.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, let me know what you think. Hope you enjoy the blog, I love reading each and every comment. :)